Homemade Bacon and Sweet Potato CBD Dog Treats
Making your own CBD dog treats at home is super easy to do and allows you to control the ingredients and dosage amounts of the treats. Many store-bought treats are filled with not-so-great ingredients and present mainly empty calories and sugar for your pooch... not good.
We developed this recipe to give you a healthier option and still give a tasty way for your fur baby to get their daily dose of Mellow Mammals CBD. We start with low-sodium bacon frying in the pan... mmmm! Then we bake the sweet potatoes until tender and mashed them by hand... just like grandma used to! Then just add in the oats and CBD and you got yourself some tasty little morsels of endocannabinoid loving goodness for your pup!
Making treats at home can be a fun way to spend a little time in the kitchen with your dog, partner or kids and spend some quality family time together making a seriously tasty treat for your pup.
Play your favorite music... smile, pet your dog, dance a little... then, start creating!!
Bacon and Sweet Potato CBD Dog Treats
This recipe yields about 36 treats / about 3mg per treat
2 medium sweet potatoes (scrubbed)
12 ounces low-sodium bacon (340g)
1 1/2 cups quick oats (120g)
120mg Mellow Mammals CBD Oil (See note below) *
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Place the sweet potatoes on one of the prepared baking sheets and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until tender. Set aside to cool.
3. While the sweet potatoes are baking, cut the low-sodium bacon into small pieces and fry in a pan until crisp.
4. Drain the grease and place the crispy bacon bits on a paper towel lined plate to cool.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 225ºF (107ºC).
6. In a food processor or on a cutting board, finely chop the cooled bacon and set aside.
7. Peel the cooled sweet potatoes and place them in a large bowl. Mash well with a fork or a potato masher.
8. Add the bacon crumble, Oats and CBD oil* (see note below) and stir to combine.
9. Spoon tablespoon-size (15g) portions onto the other prepared baking sheet about 1/2 inch apart. Flatten each with a fork in a crisscross pattern to approx. 1/4-inch (0.6 cm) thickness.
10. Bake the treats in the oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hour, or until they are dried and crunchy. (This could take up to 2 hours depending on oven variance).
11. Cool the treats completely before storing them in an air-tight container for up to one week in the refrigerator.
TIP - You can also double the recipe and freeze the extra treats for later.
* NOTE: The following guidelines can be used to achieve the 120mg total. (Double the amount if you would like 6mg CBD per treat.)
Mellow Mammals Calming Oil - use 6 full droppers.
Let us know in the comments what you think of this recipe and how your pooch likes them. Our guess is they will be gone pretty quickly!!
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published